- Remember this is not a run – it’s a walk. Our safety plans have been established based on walkers – not runners.
- As we have 750 trekkers to get walking safely, we will be sending you off in waves from 7.00am. Please be patient, we will have you on your way to Torquay as quickly as possible with our aim to have everyone on the Trek by 7:20am.
- Please adhere to the Rest Stop cut off times (overleaf). If you do not make these times, we will be assessing your ability to complete the Trek and you may be driven to the end of the Trek.
- Make sure you keep hydrated, and refill your water bottle at each Rest Stop. Keep fuelled with appropriate food and
protect yourself with sunblock and insect repellent.
In the event of a Medical Emergency
- Phone 000 – and inform the operator you are part of the Surf Coast Trek Event
- Use your Surf Coast Walk Map to provide a reference point of your location. Also keep an eye out for Surf Coast Trek directional signs and use the Letters on these as location references.
- Then call Chris Longmore our Safety Officer on 0425 866 804 to inform him of the situation.
- Safety Concern/Minor Injury/Feeling Unwell & Unable to Continue – ON TREK If you have a safety concern, minor injury or are feeling unwell and are unable to continue to the next Rest Stop please call Safety Officer, Chris Longmore on 0425 866 804 who will assist you.
- Feeling Unwell and Unable to Continue – AT A REST STOP If you feel unwell at a Rest Stop please let the First Aid team know. Your Safety and Health are our main priority and our Safety Officer Chris Longmore will be happy to arrange transport back to Torquay if required.
Look after yourself, listen to your body, seek medical attention if required. Look after those around you.
Remember it is not a race, and your safety and wellbeing are more important than finishing the Trek!
Given the remote nature of the Trek, it is essential we know where YOU are at all times. We will be monitoring all trekkers electronically with the help of ’Tomato Timing’ and a chip embedded into your Trek Bib. For this to work we need your assistance. Please follow these simple rules:
Essential information for Trek Day
- Wear your Trek Bib – you MUST wear your bib at all times. We will be monitoring all trekkers electronically on the day with the help of ‘Tomato Timing’ and a chip embedded into your Trek bib.
- There will be recorder stations at each Rest Stops. Please make sure you cross the sensor pad at each stop.
- If you leave the Trek for any reason at one of the Rest Stops please cross the sensor pad coming in to the stop and then inform one of the attendants that you won’t be continuing
- If you join the Trek at a Rest Stop other than the start line please ensure you cross the sensor pad, that way we will know you are on the Trek
- If you need to pull out of the Trek somewhere along the Trek but NOT at a Rest Stop, please send a text to 0447 646 406 with your name and bib number
- You can check the time it took to complete the Trek online here
Please ensure you have these numbers in your phone:
In the event of an Emergency 000
Safety Officer – Chris Longmore 0425 866 804
Tomato Timing – in the event of leaving the Trek 0447 464 406
Turn on your phone’s GPS as it may help us to locate you in the case of an emergency. Ensure your mobile is fully charged prior to the Trek and consider bringing a portable charger.
Keep an eye out for…
- Our lead walker Mick O’Malley as we ask that no trekkers overtake him!
- Medical/First Aid qualified personnel at each rest stop
- Trek marshals who will be easily identified throughout the day
Rest Stop Cut Off Times
To ensure you complete the Trek safely and within daylight, you will need to spend minimal time at each Rest Stop. You need to have left the Rest Stops by the following times, if you are not you will be assessed for your ability to complete the Trek and may be driven the Finish Line.
- Rest Stop 1 Urquhart’s Bluff You must have left this Rest Stop by 9:15am
- Rest Stop 2 Anglesea You must have left this Rest Stop by 11:30am
- Rest Stop 3 Point Addis You must have left this Rest Stop by 1:30pm
- Rest Stop 4 Southside You must have left this Rest Stop by 3:00pm
- Finish Line Torquay You need to aim to arrive in Torquay by 5:00p
Essentials for on the day
- Bring your Surf Coast Walk Map – In case of an emergency your Surf Coast Walk Map (included in your Trek Pack) will be used as reference points
- Bring a fully charged mobile phone and ensure you’ve got the GPS switched on (and a mobile phone charger if required)
- Drink bottle – Please fill before you arrive. Water stations will be present at all Rest Stops
- Lunch and snacks to see you through the day
- Surf Coast Trek Cap and Sunscreen
- Weather appropriate clothing
What we will provide on the day:
- Water at each Rest Stop to refill your bottle
- Light snack options at each Rest Stop – muesli/protein bars, fruit, lollies
- 2 x First Aid Teams located at Rest Stops either end of our Trek walkers
- Podiatrist at Rest Stop 2 Anglesea, 3 Pt Addis and 4 Southside
- Physio and Massage at Rest Stop 2 Anglesea and Finish Line
- Sausage sizzle at the Finish Line run by the Rotary Club of Grovedale / Waurn Ponds – Wear your bib to receive 1x complimentary sausage!
STARTING LINE, Aireys Inlet
- The start at Aireys Inlet is a residential zone so we ask that you consider local residents by keeping noise levels to a minimum.
- Upon arrival you will be directed to the grassed clearing for our safety briefing. You will assemble there until it’s time to walk.
- As there are 750 Trekkers commencing the walk at Aireys Inlet we will be sending you in waves of approximately x150 Trekkers in 5 minute increments
Coffee will be available at the Aireys Inlet start of the Trek from Bonappucino, Wanna Coffee? and from the cafes across the road – Onda Cafe and Skinny Legs Cafe Please take care when crossing the Great Ocean Road at this point!
FINISHING LINE, Torquay
Don’t forget to invite your supporters to greet you as you cross the finish line. Family and friends are welcome to gather at Elephant Walk Reserve between 2.30pm and 5.00pm to cheer you home. There’s plenty of space to set up a rug and a picnic and make a day of it. We will provide kids entertainment and there’s a great play park next to the reserve to keep the kids amused while they await your triumphant return.