We take your safety very seriously on the Surf Coast Trek and we’ve put in place specific measures to ensure this.
We recommend all participants have current ambulance cover in case of an emergency. Many participants haven’t walked 40kms before, and we would hate for you to not be covered in case something were to occur on the day i.e. sprain, fainting, sunstroke.
- Remember this is not a run – it’s a walk. Our safety plans have been established based on walkers – not runners. Safety considerations, rest stops, nutrition and logistics have been planned to be appropriate for walking speeds of between 4 and 7km/hour. We cannot accommodate runners.
- As we have a lot of trekkers to get walking safely, we will be sending you off in waves from your bus. Please be patient, we will have you on your way to Torquay as quickly as possible..
- Please adhere to the Rest Stop cut off times. If you do not make these times, we will be assessing your ability to complete the Trek and you may be driven to the finish line of the Trek.
- Make sure you stay hydrated, and refill your water bottle at each Rest Stop. Keep fueled with appropriate food. Snacks will be provided along the course, however you must still pack a nutritious lunch.
- Protect yourself with sunblock and insect repellent.
- View our COVIDSafe Plan here as well as out COVIDSafe Checklist here.
In the Event of a Medical Emergency
- Phone 000 – and inform the operator you are part of the Surf Coast Trek event
- Use your Surf Coast Walk map to provide a reference point of your location. Also keep an eye out for Surf Coast Trek directional signs and use the letters on these as location references.
- Then call our Surf Coast Trek safety officer to inform them of the situation. All phone numbers can be found on your safety briefing document in your Trek pack. We recommend bringing this on the day or saving the phone numbers to your phone prior to the Trek!
- Safety Concern/Minor Injury/Feeling Unwell & Unable to Continue – ON TREK If you have a safety concern, minor injury or are feeling unwell and are unable to continue to the next Rest Stop please call the Surf Coast Trek safety officer and they will assist you.
- Feeling Unwell and Unable to Continue – AT A REST STOP If you feel unwell at a Rest Stop please let the first aid team know. Your safety and health are our main priority and our safety officer will be happy to arrange transport back to Torquay if required.
Look after yourself, listen to your body, seek medical attention if required. Look after those around you.
Remember it is not a race, and your safety and well-being are more important than finishing the Trek!