Are you feet and legs prepared for the Surf Coast trek?
Total Care Podiatry in Geelong are offering Surf Coast trek participants a free foot and leg assessment which will look at your individual needs and provide solutions so you can complete the walk and still be smiling!
Look for the Free Foot Health Check voucher in your registration pack and call 5223 1531 to book in. Make sure you mention that you have registered for the Surf Coast Trek.
Getting your feet ready for a 40 km trek needs a lot of planning and preparation. Good preparation can minimise the risk of pain and injury.
In addition to the information below, check out the Total Care Podiatry blog on preparation for the Trek.
Skin & Nail Preparation
To begin with, make sure your feet are in the very best condition before the walk.
- Make sure you trim your toenails at least some days before the event. Trim your toenails
- Keep the spaces between your toes dry and clean of any sand, lint from socks, etc.
- If the skin is dry, a good-quality moisturising lotion should be used up until a week before the trek, so the skin tone is ready for the stress of the trek.
- If you have any thick calluses or cracked skin, particularly around the heel or under the ball of the foot, this needs to be addressed as soon as possible.
Shoes – Fit & Comfort
Have you noted any issues with the fit or comfort of your shoes during your preparation?
- Are your feet swelling? Shoes becoming too tight?
- Are your heels slipping?
- Are there any areas of pressure?
Hopefully your answers to the above questions will be ‘no’ and you can depend on the comfort and support level of your shoes.
For those people who answered ‘yes’ to the questions, it’s probably best that you contact us as soon as possible so we can help you with some solutions.
Blisters – Prevention and Management
To minimise the risk of suffering from blisters whilst training or during the trek, ensure you:
- Know the causes
- Wear the right socks
- Re-distribute pressure if necessary by:
- Trying different lacing techniques
You should take with you on the walk an extra pair of dry socks and a microfibre towel in case your feet get wet and sandy on the beach segment of the walk.
For more information regarding blister preparation, please watch the video below or visit our website.
We look forward to seeing you at various stages of the walk as we’ll be ready with any foot first-aid for anyone who needs a bit of extra help or foot care!
Don’t forget to look in your Trek Pack for the Total Care Podiatry Free Foot Health Check voucher and call us on 5223 1531 to book in.
We wish you all great walking and a fantastic experience!
Total Care Podiatry
209 Malop Street Geelong
Ph 5223 1531
WARNING: This information is for educational purposes only and is not intended to replace professional podiatric advice. Treatment will vary between individuals depending upon your diagnosis and presenting complaint. An accurate diagnosis can only be made following personal consultation with a Podiatrist.