Essential Trek Day Information
- Wear your Trek Bib – Given the remote nature of the Trek, it is essential we know where YOU are at all times so you MUST wear your bib at all times. We will be monitoring all trekkers electronically on the day with the help of ‘Tomato Timing’ and a chip embedded into your Trek bib.
- There will be recorder stations at each rest stop. Please make sure you cross the sensor pad at each stop.
- If you leave the Trek for any reason at one of the rest stops please cross the sensor pad coming into the stop and then inform one of the attendants that you won’t be continuing.
- If you join the Trek at a rest stop other than the start line please ensure you cross the sensor pad—that way we will know you are on the Trek.
- If you need to pull out of the Trek somewhere along the Trek but NOT at a rest stop, please send a text to 0447 646 406 with your name and bib number.
- You can check the time it took to complete the Trek online here.
- Turn on your phone’s GPS as it may help us to locate you in case of an emergency. Ensure your mobile is fully charged prior to the Trek and consider bringing a portable charger.
Keep an eye out for…
- Our lead walker Keith Fagg as we ask that no trekkers overtake him!
- Medical/First Aid qualified personnel at each rest stop
- Trek marshals who will be easily identified throughout the day
Rest stop cut off times:
To ensure you complete the Trek safely and within daylight, you will need to spend minimal time at each Rest Stop. You need to have left the rest stops by the following times, if you are not you will be assessed for your ability to complete the Trek and may be driven the finish line.
- Rest Stop 1 Urquhart’s Bluff You must have left this Rest Stop by 9:15am
- Rest Stop 2 Anglesea You must have left this Rest Stop by 11:30am
- Rest Stop 3 Point Addis You must have left this Rest Stop by 1:30pm
- Rest Stop 4 Southside You must have left this Rest Stop by 3:00pm
- Finish Line Torquay You need to aim to arrive in Torquay by 5:00pm
Essentials for on the day:
- Bring your Surf Coast Walk Map: In case of an emergency your Surf Coast Walk Map (included in your Trek Pack) will be used as reference points
- Bring a fully charged mobile phone and ensure you’ve got the GPS switched on (and a mobile phone charger if required)
- Drink bottle: Please fill before you arrive, participants are expected to carry a MINIMUM of 2 litres of water. Water stations will be present at all rest stops to top up your water.
- Lunch and snacks to see you through the day
- Surf Coast Trek cap and sunscreen
- Weather appropriate clothing
What we will provide on the day:
- Water at each rest stop to refill your bottle
- Light snack options at each rest stop such as muesli/protein bars, fruit and lollies
- 2 x First Aid teams located at rest stops either end of our Trek walkers
- Podiatrist at rest stop 2 Anglesea, at stop 3 Pt Addis and stop 4 Southside
- Physio and massage at rest stop 2 Anglesea and the finish line
- Sausage sizzle at the finish line run by the Torquay Lions Club. Wear your bib to receive 1x complimentary sausage!
Starting Line: Aireys Inlet
- The start at Aireys Inlet is a residential zone so we ask that you please consider local residents by keeping noise levels to a minimum.
- Upon arrival you will be directed to the grassed clearing for our safety briefing. You will assemble there until we indicate it’s time to walk.
- As there are 850 Trekkers commencing the walk at Aireys Inlet we will be sending you in waves of approximately 150 trekkers in 5-minute increments
Coffee will be available at the Aireys Inlet start of the frek from Bonappucino, Wanna Coffee? and from the cafes across the road – Onda Cafe and Skinny Legs Cafe. Please take care when crossing the Great Ocean Road at this point!
Finishing line: Torquay
Don’t forget to invite your supporters to greet you as you cross the finish line. Family and friends are welcome to gather at Elephant Walk Reserve between 1.30pm and 5.00pm to cheer you home. There’s plenty of space to set up a rug and a picnic to make a day of it. We will provide kids entertainment and there’s a great play park next to the reserve to keep the kids amused while they await your triumphant return. There will also be coffee available to purchase from a local supplier, a sausage sizzle with 1 complimentary sausage for each trekker and stands to meet your massage, podiatry or First Aid needs.